CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 9, 2009

And how should I begin?

I don't think liking T.S. Eliot makes one pretentious. Sure, people are uneducated and annoying about him, but I think his work is fascinating. He also has a hilarious speaking voice...and by hilarious, I mean, overly dramatic and serious. Anyway....

I loveeeee The Hollow Men...but I'm going to write about something interesting in The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock...mmhmmm lovely title.

I noticed a correlation between lines in this poem and a quote from Eugene O'Neill's Long Day's Journey Into Night, one of my favorite dramas.


"I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas." -Eliot


""It was a great mistake my being born a man. I would have been much more successful as a sea-gull or a fish. As it is, I will always be a stranger who never feels at home, who does not really want is not really wanted, who can never belong, who must always be a little in love with death!" -O'Neill

I'm fascinated by this desire to be another being instead of a human...in both of these instances, the speaker dismisses the depressing lifestyle they are surrounded with and wishes to be a creature associated with the sea.

I love that...I don't know how else to describe how I feel about it. I just find it so interesting. These authors are connecting us to the ocean, to beginning of life, bringing us all closer to our own origins.


Does that make any sense?



0 comments: